I would like to agree completely with your post. It is however inappropriate for the 2018 forum. The 1st 2018 will commit in less than 365 days. I am certain.

Perhaps the 1st 2022 will commit as a sophmore or junior. The 1st 2019 may actually commit before the 1st day of classes freshman year. In reality, since the fall club season has not started, this commit may have well committed during this past summer.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The 1st 2017 has now committed. This puts the 2018 class on the clock. Assuming the trend continues we are less than 365 days away from the 1st 2018 commitment to UNC or JHU or UVA!!!

This trend is going to have to stop at some point because it just does not make sense as both player and coach are taking risks so early in the process. As the growth of the game continues and a larger recruiting pool is established coaches are not going to have to be pressure to make these commitments to kids at such a young age. They can wait it until these kids are either juniors or god forbid seniors before committing because the talent pool is going to be deeper.

Look at the rest of the landscape in college athletics. No sport has freshman and sophmores committing like lacrosse. Why? Because talent in sports like basketball, football, and baseball is spread out across the country and not isolated to 5 states in the northeast. As lacrosse grows across the country, the recruiting pattern will change as well.

It is going to take a couple of coaches from major programs (and subsequently win) waiting to recruit to change this trend but I cannot see how recruiting any earlier is going to help these programs. Kids change not only physically but emotionally and what they believe to be the greatest love at 15 maybe dramatically different in 2 years time.