Originally Posted by Anonymous
The Hoco league plays NCAA rules with a few modifications for youngest grades. Anyone know whether they plan to implement shot clock? Seems far fetched for youth refs to manage. And I don't think it's needed in youth game

HoCo has paid score keepers/clock operators and working scoreboards. Minus having a clock on both ends of the field, it doesn't seem to be that much of a hurdle to overcome. The ref simply signals a reset of the shot clock on change of possessions or an offensive reset and the kid working the clock hits the button.

Players/coaches need to be able to see the shot clock counting down.

Shot clock would be a mistake in youth. Would add a complexity to the game that is unwarranted.

I like the idea of a shot clock. There are way too many coaches over-coaching and screaming profanities at kids for taking shots instead of waiting for their best kid to dominate. Implementation would be a challenge. Perhaps use the game clock to be the shot clock and keep the time manually? Or do the scoreboards have a spot for a shot clock already? I think they have a spot for penalties.

The Hoco games already have a scoreboard operator and it would not be much more effort to have them reset the shot clock. Most county leagues could not afford to deal with this, but Howard County could easily.