Originally Posted by Anonymous
The comments were directed primarily at the 8th grade/2020 elite division which seems to be drawing the ire of many people. They were not meant to be pompous and there is no need to call "Petro" as he is a firm grasp of the club lacrosse landscape. If you did not know about the nature of holdbacks prior to this lacrosse season, I am sure you are fully cognizant of it now. I would encourage you to be better prepared for it next year or exercise your right to move to another club or league. The one thing you can't do is put yourself in the same exact position again next year but keep complaining.

Waivers were written and designed with the mindset that rules would be followed. Not interpretations of rules.

As a resident and taxpayer of Howard County and a parent of a son playing in the 2021 "Elite" group, I have wondered a number of times this Spring how Howard County, as a public body, could sanction a league based on class rather than age with no control over the age and size disparity this creates. I now have an answer. Apparently in the "Elite" divisions anything goes so long as a player is (very) technically enrolled in a particular grade, regardless of how old the player really is.

As a parent this is irritating. However, as a Howard County resident I wonder about the County's liability. The league is sanctioned by, organized by, and operated under rules adopted by Howard County. If a player is injured, the County's liability will come up since in that situation the County will be the "deep pocket". I hope (but I am not optimistic) that the County has thought through the grade based permutations it is allowing and sanctioning and how those permutations effect the County's liability and insurance.

I'm sure that lawyers representing Howard County Parks and Rec, Anne Arundel County Parks and Rec and MYLA were directly involved or indirectly consulted in the drafting of the League's by-laws and rules. I'm sure they had a direct hand in developing the releases/waivers that parents signed before their boys were allowed to play.