Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How about this - the majority (not presumptuous) of parents think it is ridiculous that 8th grade teams have 16 year olds on them? Does that suit you? What percentage of all the 8th graders in the entire Maryland public school system are 16 years old? Care to guess?

Look, I agree with you. I think it's ridiculous. But I just don't care about it like others do. It would benefit my son to have the kids playing up where they belong in terms of staying on his team, but does it benefit him in terms getting better as a lacrosse player? I don't think so. He is able to compete with and in many cases surpass the holdback kids. So why would I prefer he play against lesser kids? Lacrosse has had a 2 year spread for as long as I can remember in terms of U-9, U-11, U-13, U-15. What's the difference?

First lets remember that these are children playing lacrosse that are between 8 and 15. You may not care, which is fine. But many do. Many, of course not all, feel that having select kids playing down is wrong at Youth Level. If you are going to let these select kids (mostly private school prefirst) play down, then change the date and let anyone play down from an earlier birthdate. Make it April? or whatever, but let anyone playdown that wants to.

As far as MYLA and their two year U11, U13,U15, .Yes that was two years, but every other year you were older than some players. As it is now, with single year and grade. Select kids will always be older and the kids that didnt holdback, will always be younger. That is not the way Youth sports should be run.

You might be ok as your son is a superstar and competes with the holdbacks . By your reasoning than play him your son up a year and you can play against nothing but older players. He will get really better than. But for the majority of kids that arent superstars, why are they at a disadvantage while other palyers born in same month as them get to play down???. Why cant they have that advantage???