Originally Posted by Anonymous
I said in my original post that my son does go to an MIAA school but is on age. My question is, what are the repercussions of these disadvantages that you think the kids are facing? Is it bad for them to learn to compete against or play with bigger kids? Does it stunt or enhance their development as lacrosse players? My point is, the only disadvantage that they face is that they may not win as much which is completely pointless in middle school anyway. The number of holdbacks is completely blown out of proportion. With the exception of crabs, teams have 3 or 4 max. That leaves 20 roster spots on all these AA teams. So what is the problem? Again I think it bruises the ego me of the parents that their kid doesn't win a championship they can brag about, or they didn't make one of these 20 available roster spots per team and they don't get to wear Crabs, FCA, etc swag.

What is the problem?? And it is all about ego?? That is your response?
This is about all Maryland youth club lacrosse and what goes on in it.This isnt a private school club world where only private school prefirst kids get the advantage. But that is where all your thinking comes from. You can tell by your constant cheerleading for these kids playing down.

You must have bought what is taught to the prefirst kids about them being the leaders of their future grade. That may be the case in the private school environment, but to the rest of Maryland it is BS. Most people including many in private schools feel getting an advantage over other children in youth sports due to being held back is wrong. Every parent does what they think is right for child when it comes to their education, but you dont get an advantage over the same age children in the public area for this.

You say what is wrong with playing older children, it makes you better and they are in your grade Right?..But you want other children to play against much older children out of their age bracket. So in grade OK..Out of age bracket Not OK..You are a Hypocrite and an apologist for holdback mentality in youth lacrosse.

How am I a hypocrite? I see no problem with my son or any other boy playing other boys a year or two older than they are. If their parents want to pay for it good for them. Why does it upset you so? You have the same option if you chose to do so. If you want to reclass your kid at a private school they will let you. We are talking about 7th and 8th grade lacrosse. Call me an apologist all you want. You constantly whining is ridiculous. I'm sorry you feel like it's only fair for your son to play against kids the exact same age as him. The travesty it must be for him to do otherwise. You must be so proud of his courage to step on the field with the other kids in his grade that are older than he is. Your constant railing about the advantage for a select few MIAA kids is a useless crusade. Get over it or tell your club you won't play til they ban holdbacks. See how that works out.

You are a hypocrite for the reasons I stated above.
Now you bring out some new straw men! I can choose to reclass my kids if I want and enjoy the advantage like other people do at the Youth level. No thanks. I have always taught my children to compete with other children like them or older. Not compete against younger children like YOU claim is ok.

I also like your BS Straw man line about how I feel like my son only needs to play against kids his own age. Who said that, Only YOU. My one son who is finished now with lacrosse played high level from a child to college. Never once did I consider him playing against YOUNGER children until HS. Then it really didn’t matter. As he went being the youngest to oldest as he went thru HS. My other is in the system now starting his HS years. He never played down against younger children. O and by way it is a MIAA school. That is why I know so much about the world of holdbacks and prefirsts. I could care less that a parent holds his child back, but this ridiculous notion of changing Club Youth lacrosse to allow only select kids to play down is terrible. It is not the way the game was meant to be played. Maybe in your world it is OK playing down but not mine.

It ceases to amaze me how people like you go on and on about us whining about holdbacks and we need to toughen our sons up, or they only want to play against their own age instead of older players,etc,etc. You along with the rest of the holdback apologists try to paint us like we are just scared to compete. When in reality it is apologists like you who are afraid to compete on a level playing field.

I don't feel the need to have my son play down. As I said, my son is on age, also at an MIAA school. I just don't think it's the worst thing in the world for him to play some older kids. I grew up playing that way. My older son went through when things were U-9, U-11, U-13, U-15 and was always playing older kids. If parents feel their son needs that, that's their decision. It doesn't really effect me. Not sure why you are so offended by it.

You are only half way correct your son played older kids every other year. The second year at U-11 or U13 your son was the older kid playing with some kids 1 and a half years younger give or take. So you need a one year system to be fair. So life does not have to be fair but people should try to make thing close to fair as possible when dealing with kids.