Originally Posted by Anonymous
Cant walk on - if you don't get accepted into the school..... the point of all of this should be getting into a school you would not otherwise be able to get into - if not for being on the Coach's Recruit List.....

As a parent of a kid who was not recruited, did get into a selective college and did walk on for lacrosse at a ranked D1 program I respectfully disagree.

Another point is if there is a selective school a kid would otherwise not get into, then that same kid shouldn't merit admission. If a kid DOES meet the academic criteria to apply and get into a selective college, then applies to 8 and gets into 2-3...that's how it goes. It is a fair point that only a sports hook can ensure a kid gets into the specific first choice. But a top student will have top choices.

If a stud lacrosse recruit DOES NOT meet the academic criteria to apply to several selective colleges and have any hope to get admitted to one, I'd agree that being a recruit is critical. I'd also make the point those same kids don't belong at selective colleges. They are taking spots away from applicants immensely more qualified, and I don't buy the 'lacrosse adds diversity' to the college community bullcrap. After having a son go through an Ivy and graduate last year I could count at least a few lax bros who were a waste of an Ivy opportunity. I believe that as the sport grows the selective colleges will have more conflicts with coaches who recruit down the academic food chain. Lacrosse is a demographic with enough great players who are also great students. It isn't like lacrosse is making any money as a property for colleges either.