Originally Posted by Anonymous
How about this - the majority (not presumptuous) of parents think it is ridiculous that 8th grade teams have 16 year olds on them? Does that suit you? What percentage of all the 8th graders in the entire Maryland public school system are 16 years old? Care to guess?

Look, I agree with you. I think it's ridiculous. But I just don't care about it like others do. It would benefit my son to have the kids playing up where they belong in terms of staying on his team, but does it benefit him in terms getting better as a lacrosse player? I don't think so. He is able to compete with and in many cases surpass the holdback kids. So why would I prefer he play against lesser kids? Lacrosse has had a 2 year spread for as long as I can remember in terms of U-9, U-11, U-13, U-15. What's the difference?

First lets remember that these are children playing lacrosse that are between 8 and 15. You may not care, which is fine. But many do. Many, of course not all, feel that having select kids playing down is wrong at Youth Level. If you are going to let these select kids (mostly private school prefirst) play down, then change the date and let anyone play down from an earlier birthdate. Make it April? or whatever, but let anyone playdown that wants to.

As far as MYLA and their two year U11, U13,U15, .Yes that was two years, but every other year you were older than some players. As it is now, with single year and grade. Select kids will always be older and the kids that didnt holdback, will always be younger. That is not the way Youth sports should be run.

You might be ok as your son is a superstar and competes with the holdbacks . By your reasoning than play him your son up a year and you can play against nothing but older players. He will get really better than. But for the majority of kids that arent superstars, why are they at a disadvantage while other palyers born in same month as them get to play down???. Why cant they have that advantage???

My son is not a superstar, but he's good enough to play with kids a year or two older than he is. HOCO provided up to 4 levels of play for teams. The Elite divisions were just that. For the Elite teams(elite level players). All the clubs know the deal with holdbacks, and I would guess that every club in the Elite division has at least one over age kid. Is the problem that people's egos will take a hit if their kid's team play in the AA or A division? Like I said, I don't have a problem with it because my son has always played and always will play against boys in a range of ages. It is what it is.

You didnt answer anything about what I wrote. I can sum up what you said easily. ""My son's plays up and is very good ( not a superstar) so everyone else should be ok with grade based teams having children playing down. Oh and by the way it must be peoples ego why they dont like to play aginst older children."""

You are a apologist for a youth sports gone amuck. Years ago if you played your child down it would have been looked down on unless for a good reason..Now with the Balt private school influence of prefirst kids in youth lacrosse it is GREAT!

No. My son doesn't play up. He is on age for his grade. He plays with his grade. All the clubs, leagues, tournaments are grade based. I don't think it's right for 16 year olds to be in 8th grade, but the fact that they are doesn't bother me. My point was that the boys have been playing with older kids their whole lives. When did that become detrimental to them? If a parent wants to shell out the extra 28k-60k for an extra year or two of MIAA schools, that's their prerogative and really none of my business. I do think it hurts people's egos if their son can't make one of the elite teams because of holdbacks. It doesn't really matter in the long run though. Good players will be found if the parents are proactive and they are playing in the proper tournaments. College Coaches don't care who wins.

Once again it is " my son can do it so why shouldn't everyone..And if it works for me, the heck with the rest of you. And by the way, because your son didnt make the team your ego is hurt, " You are a apologist for an unfair system that rewards select children. And most are in the private schools of Maryland. So as long as it is OK for your son, all is fine in your blinded world.

You create constant straw man arguments and then move on to a new one once you are called out. Now its " if private school parents shell out money , none of our business", Who said anything about that?? Just you! And who cares if kids are sixteen in 8th grade, Only You!. The rest care that the 16 year old is allowed to play against 13-14 year olds.

You must be a private school parent or a wanta be. Only in the private school world is it ok to have this many kids heldback and then use this advantage over younger children. Yea, Character education matters in the private schools.