Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Cant walk on - if you don't get accepted into the school..... the point of all of this should be getting into a school you would not otherwise be able to get into - if not for being on the Coach's Recruit List.....

As a parent of a kid who was not recruited, did get into a selective college and did walk on for lacrosse at a ranked D1 program I respectfully disagree.

Another point is if there is a selective school a kid would otherwise not get into, then that same kid shouldn't merit admission. If a kid DOES meet the academic criteria to apply and get into a selective college, then applies to 8 and gets into 2-3...that's how it goes. It is a fair point that only a sports hook can ensure a kid gets into the specific first choice. But a top student will have top choices.

If a stud lacrosse recruit DOES NOT meet the academic criteria to apply to several selective colleges and have any hope to get admitted to one, I'd agree that being a recruit is critical. I'd also make the point those same kids don't belong at selective colleges. They are taking spots away from applicants immensely more qualified, and I don't buy the 'lacrosse adds diversity' to the college community bullcrap. After having a son go through an Ivy and graduate last year I could count at least a few lax bros who were a waste of an Ivy opportunity. I believe that as the sport grows the selective colleges will have more conflicts with coaches who recruit down the academic food chain. Lacrosse is a demographic with enough great players who are also great students. It isn't like lacrosse is making any money as a property for colleges either.

That is not how colleges approach the admissions process. Academics do come first but a college is looking for a diverse student body. Athletics, majors, various talents and most importantly, academics factor into the admissions process. Schools need to fill certain majors. Schools need band members that play the clarinet. Schools need athletes. Schools need diversity. You are ignorant to say lacrosse doesn't add to diversity. All sports add to diversity as do actors, dancers, etc...