Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I said in my original post that my son does go to an MIAA school but is on age. My question is, what are the repercussions of these disadvantages that you think the kids are facing? Is it bad for them to learn to compete against or play with bigger kids? Does it stunt or enhance their development as lacrosse players? My point is, the only disadvantage that they face is that they may not win as much which is completely pointless in middle school anyway. The number of holdbacks is completely blown out of proportion. With the exception of crabs, teams have 3 or 4 max. That leaves 20 roster spots on all these AA teams. So what is the problem? Again I think it bruises the ego me of the parents that their kid doesn't win a championship they can brag about, or they didn't make one of these 20 available roster spots per team and they don't get to wear Crabs, FCA, etc swag.

For top teams from metro areas (outside of LI), I'd say the number of kids born before 9/1 is more like 5-10 per team.

I don't know that it's about winning. It's a race to the bottom, where for any particular kid it's probably a good decision to start school late or repeat a year, whether athletically or academically, but I'm not sure it's great overall. In any event, lacrosse-wise, we all want to see kids do well because they work hard on their game, versus play against younger kids.

It is certainly not common to have 5-10 kids born prior to 9/1. It is on Crabs but not the other teams. More like 3 or 4 as I said. That leaves plenty of roster spots on the 12 Elite/AA teams for on age kids. Is the issue that your kid is on one of these teams and don't think it "fair" to play teams with more older kids than you have? Or is it that your kid wasn't able to take one of the over 200 spots that are available on these Elite/AA teams that are currently held by one age players?