My son has an August birthday, 12 yo on a 2022. I am fine with, and used to, him playing against other kids nearly a year older, on teams with normal age boys. The problem is playing against a hold back team, he is now competing against several players up to 2 years older, and possibly some even older than that. Yes, I call that unfair. I always say to him, the other team is not better, they are just older, just like you playing against your older brother. I stopped complaining because I do not expect anything to be done, at least before he is through high school and this mess. It will probably take an unfortuate death or severe injury, and a whopper of a lawsuit to make a true change. One silver lining is he is getting better playing against older kids. I am hoping it will be more honestly competetive in highschool when the growth rates level off, and the size difference due to age is less of an issue.

I do not blame the elite clubs for this practice. I believe this is due to the private school system. They have figured out a way to get gullible parents fork up another year of $15k+ tuition. The elite privates are under huge pressure to succeed in lacrosse, at least in MD. Having older kids on the team is an edge. So if I was a coach at one of these programs I would try to get my whole team held back. If the parents are willing to pay, why not? The elite clubs are just pipelines for these high schools. Thus the pressure on the incoming kids, parents and coaches on the pre-HS elite club teams to have their kid held back.

My son is happy, playing with his friends on a non-elite team.