Originally Posted by Anonymous
Biggest surprise me to at this point- I really thought this was the year SW turns the corner but definitely not the case. Big losses to NEMS and Coppermine the last two weeks. What surprises you the most?

SW has a few good players. Added a couple decent defenders. But the truth is, they have no offense. Unless they find any more offensive talent from kids cut from better teams, they are going to have a hard time competing with lower level A teams....much less the better ones. The current offensive players just aren't good enough.

I actually think they have some decent offensive players. Problem is they all excel in 1:1 offense not team offense. No off-ball movement and no-one looking to feed cutters.

Not saying that they should be a top NGLL team, but on paper, they are more talented than NEMS,Coppermine, Integrity, etc...

At some point, it comes down to coaching.

I would have to disagree with them being better on paper than other teams. They have yet to beat Coppermine or even come close to beating them looking at past scores. NEMS is a little different situation since losing 3 top players and still beat them by 5. I get the historical image of SW- but the landscape is changing and they aren’t as good.

You could put 5 new elite players on the SW team. I promise the team would not become elite with the current coaching. Look at any pro team in literally any sport....a team with all the studs and bad coaching equals under achievement. Never fails.

I think a major issue is the experienced coach is coaching High School, and appears to be having a pretty good year. I hope she'll be there more after the HS season. If she isn't, I can't see Mike and Molly keeping it the way it is.

Either the wrong things are being coached or coaching is just being ignored. Watched the end of their game a few weeks ago. On at least 2/3 of their clear attempts a defenders tried to run the ball through traffic instead of quickly passing the ball to an open teammates.

On most SW teams, a defender would be immediately benched if they did that more than once.

If I had to guess who the players are not properly running a clear, it's the players of the parents on this board claiming the coaches don't know what they are doing. So they tell their kid "just use your wheels, your coach doesn't know how fast you are. Show them." Everyone knows better and their kids fail miserably. This 27 SW team is a mess and the parents are to blame. It was a mess before the "new coach" arrived. It's her first year, no? I've seen it first hand and it always ends with the better coaches leaving to coach a team willing to buy in and play a team game. The poster before this one said it best, their best coach is a HS coach first and the parents don't like that. With that said, before you go running your mouth, you may want to check out her resume, not sure you will find a better coach (better yet, some kids parent if we are talking about Coppemine being the other option) to run to. Well, I take that back, you may find a "better" coach who will put up with your BS.