Originally Posted by Anonymous
Of course this is true. But the top clubs have relationships with a lot more programs and have a history of placing girls in them. The college coaches trust those clubs when they ask for their input. Being on a club that has no history of getting their girls recruited is a huge risk. Not to mention that by the time the girls get to HS a lot of them will move to the big 3 and your team that used to play in A brackets will now play in B brackets. This not only hurts your daughter in terms of exposure but it really hurts her in terms of development as she is no longer playing against and practicing against top competition. Running isos and being able to just run through a bad team and score goals isn't helping her at all.

OK - so the big three - meaning Skywalkers, M&D and Hero's have 60 some spots between the three for their A teams. So does that mean only 60 some girls from the Baltimore area in each graduation year should be able to play college lacrosse ? If the big three B teams don't get many girls recruited and other less established clubs don't get girls recruited as people keep saying on here, what do the girls do who are not on black, green, or blue ?? What is your suggestion for them ? Everyone's suggestion is to get on one of these three teams but there's only 66 spots. So Tell me what should all of the other girls who want to play and some who are actually stronger players than girls on those teams do ? I've been hearing this for years now - but no one has a suggestion for the 200 girls around Baltimore who are not on those three teams.

I would like a serious answer to this question.[/quote]

As someone who has been through the process multiple times and is going through with a 23 right now. A few things

1) You are right. There are girls from low A, high B teams who get recruited to D1 schools every year. its just harder. Also, more will be driven by performances at prospect days and camps then at tourney games.

2) You need to find someone who can be realistic with you about the level of lacrosse your daughter should aspire to. The only girls who I see that get no offers are ones who targeted high D-1 when they were really low D-1, high D-3 prospects. Better clubs have reputations and relationships and can get you honest answers

3) Recruiting starts well before junior year. The biggest advantage of big clubs is that they can get honest feedback on girls in their freshman years. Recruiting pipelines aren't what they once were. (SW to Duke may be the exception).

4) When you pick a team focus on quality of coaching and competition in practice more than anything else. Ultimately girls have to win scholarships on the field. The advantage of Big 3 teams is they get more eyes, but you need to perform when you get these eyes.

5) This advice is specific to greater Baltimore and to a lesser extent DC. If you are in a non-core lacrosse market, recruiting is a different beast altogether.