Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can’t recall refs being this incompetent as they were this year. Same 2-3 each week. The poor officials led to increase in parent coaches complaining which led to refs having zero patience for comments.

Listen, nobody should deal with verbal abuse, I get it, but if you blow a call, you are going to hear it. A few refs act like they not only detest lacrosse, but are there against their will.

To be honest, lots of the refs are primarily high school refs. They love lacrosse but really don't understand rules for the younger ages which leads to inconsistancy. On one field a couple weekends ago with the same ref, there was a 26A, 31, 28B, 30, and 27A game. No wonder reffing is inconsistent.

The behavior of some parents at these 10-13 yo games is deplorable at best. There is a reason why the first point of emphasis in the 2022 rule book is “sportsmanship.” All stakeholders should be maintaining the integrity of the game. Yes, officiating can be inconsistent, but so is coaching, skill level, and in this case, parental modeling. All lacrosse boards are short of officials. Hmmm, wonder why?

Is confronting refs in the parking lot or abusing them acceptable, no, of course not. However, to just "accept" the poor officiating that continues to get worse is also not acceptable. Most refs from NGLL this year can't even be bothered to move down the field. They don't even know the basic rules from your "rulebook". When you have situations like that, it leaves the game un checked, games get out of hand from a physical stand point etc. So while behavior towards officials is not tolerated, there does need to be a change. If you are an official and don't know the rules or couldn't be bothered, then you shouldn't be out there.

Dead serious, you should get certified and become a ref and I am not trying to be a smart butt.

It is a thankless job that people do for one of two reasons.

1. They love the game
2. They are working for extra money as a side hustle

If I was referring, I would warn the parents before each game and remind them these girls are X years old. No ref is trying to screw a team and if they are it is likely because their coaches and/or parents stink.