Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why not Rec????
You're all talking like these girls are semi-pro athletes.
Yes, there can be girls out there who aren't on club yet.

"very strong players", I'm not sure how you determine that if they have not played beyond rec level? Not to say that they can't be, just how would one know based on competition or lack there of?

When those top rec kids tryout and dominate during the club team tryouts, you know you've found a good one.
Quite possible. Saw it happen on the boys level with the 27s this year.

That is very RARE and probably unlikely at 7th grade, its more likely that someone moved from out of town. if there was a "very strong player" at Rec in 6th grade (especially after going through COVID) who came in and dominated a tryout, that says they went to a team at the lower end of the rankings. I can't see a rec player at this age coming in and dominating at a top 5 team's tryout. I would not refer to them as a "Very Strong Player", i would just call them a "good or capable player" ... i am calling BS

Totally agree. You'd need a kid who has never played club and only played 12 weeks of lacrosse (Rec) in 2 1/2 years (with COVID wiping out Rec 2020). How could a kid dominant? Maybe its a freak athlete that is busy with other sports and not lacrosse but is so above athletically they just dominant club players? If this is the case, your team won the lottery.

I mean rec players aren't hitting the bounce back in October, or playing indoor or doing any of the other things that these club players do year round.

We've had one non club kid make our team in three years, she is now one of our top players, but that was after two years of catching up.