Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do you have any idea how many great players currently in College & beyond didn't start playing until High School? Way more then you would think. Why are parents looking at this as such a threat (at least that is how it comes across).

Looking at it as a threat? No. Looking at it logically, yes.

I agree, back, 10-20 years ago, plenty of kids picked up sticks for the first time in 7th, 8th grade and were D1 talents. I just don't see that happening in this current era.
Could it happen? Sure, its a rare exception.

Name a few current college players that never played until HS, its sure to be in the bio since its so rare.

I'd also add these kids today are so further along at this age, then in years past. Our club coach who was an All American states this all the time. Its great for the game, they are going to take it to new levels.

You are in for a harsh awakening. Half the kids that were stars back in sixth grade for my dd’s class 2023) are no longer playing or just ok. I have a family member currently playing D1 men’s lacrosse, and the kids recruited in middle school/freshman year high school (pre rule change)have mostly turned out to be busts at the college level.

Off the top of my head, there was a four year starter at Hopkins (just graduated this year) who didn’t pick up a stick until her freshman year at a Baltimore private. And no, this wasn’t in her bio because it isn’t particularly uncommon.

My own kids started club same time as everyone else, but you have to be delusional to think nothing changes between sixth grade and college.

Your points aren't going against our argument.

No one denies lots of kids get burned out from 6th to HS and quit, that's a reality.

Yes, kids who are stars as freshman/soph and highly recruited end up busts, that's a reality.

Yes, lots of things change.

The argument isn't that a new club player in 6th grade can't play in college, the argument is, a new club playing in 6th grade won't dominant in 6th grade. That's what I am saying.