Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is going to come off as hating on M&D, obviously they continue to have tremendous success at all age levels. How much of their success is related to having "holdbacks"? Is this a legit thing or nonsense? I see the photos from these games and its obvious in some of them that M&D has kids just physically bigger. Size and age matters alot, especially pre HS levels. I mean in one photo from championships this weekend, the M&D draw girl is a going against a kid who barely comes up to her shoulders?

Anyone on M&D can clarify? Maybe these kids are just big for age.

Obviously you aren't familiar with most of the upper level teams in 27. And that draw girl might be the youngest on that team.

Wait until you see Eagle Stix

This isn't boys lacrosse. Hold backs aren't a thing in our area for girls lacrosse.

I guess I wasn’t clear, I am not referring to 2027 in general, tbh age gap pretty slim at this point for real advantage. I’m referring to all ages but younger where one age difference is huge.

I can’t speak specifically to the 27 team but most of the older groups have had or still have multiple holdbacks including the 23,24,25, and 26’s for m&d. Other teams like heros and skywalkers have them too but traditionally m&d has more as they are a feeder from/for McDonogh where they push the best talent to take pre 1st.

Oh and it’s ridiculous.

So, you're saying that they're identifying the "best talent" in kindergarten at McDonough and push them to take pre-first? That seems incorrect. More likely, it's common for McDonough kids to take pre-first (for a variety of reasons) and it's also common for McDonough kids to play at M&D.