Originally Posted by Anonymous
Stanford and Duke also basketball and football schools. Pretty sure majority of those lower athletic standards are going to those kids. Not the wealthy white kid from the suburbs with a house in the Hamptons.

Are we ready still discussing this?

The reality is, recruited athletes get in with lower grades than the general population and the better athletes can get in with lower grades than the average recruits.

Leave Football and Basketball out of the discussion.

I doesn’t matter if we are talking Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Duke, Hopkins, Northwestern etc….
The Athletes get in with lower academic credentials.
Anyone who does not know this is simply ignorant.

There is no doubt that recruited athletics receive tremendous assistance in getting admitted to the schools you listed. Based on the statistics presented above, you can even argue that probably none of the enrolled student-athletes had any business applying to these schools if it wasn't for sports.

That is correct. That is also why these kids who do not belong going to these high academic schools major in basket weaving, history, and criminal justice.

Yeah, basket weaving... Your small minded view demonstrates that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Here is a quote from a Harvard History Major:

“After five years on Wall Street working
for two of the largest investment banks in the world (Morgan Stanley &
UBS), I have found that communication skills are absolutely essential to
success in a career in finance. I would argue that one’s ability to write,
compose, and edit well is more important than one’s ability to create a
spreadsheet or perform quantitative-oriented tasks. So far in my career,
my communication skills have definitely set me apart from my peers.
Nearly all business problems I have faced were discussed, debated,
and ultimately solved either over e-mail or through more formal
correspondence (especially with clients), and it was my ability to present
well-formed arguments and logical solutions that frequently won me
praise from firm management. In this respect, the training I received
from the Harvard History Department prepared me EXTREMELY well
for my professional life. My advice to anyone who is not sure what they
can do with a Harvard History degree - Anything they want. It’s really
true!”

Choose a Major that you are passionate about, do well and get good grades and you can do whatever you want. Communication skills and leadership skills are critical in business.

The History Major or any Liberal Arts Major with excellent grades graduating from any Top 10 - 20 University will have many options, some will go on to Law School, some will go to Wall Street, some will go into Consulting some will go travel the world or play lacrosse until they figure out what they want to do.
Stanford and Duke also basketball and football schools. Pretty sure majority of those lower athletic standards are going to those kids. Not the wealthy white kid from the suburbs with a house in the Hamptons.

Are we ready still discussing this?

The reality is, recruited athletes get in with lower grades than the general population and the better athletes can get in with lower grades than the average recruits.

Leave Football and Basketball out of the discussion.

I doesn’t matter if we are talking Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Duke, Hopkins, Northwestern etc….
The Athletes get in with lower academic credentials.
Anyone who does not know this is simply ignorant.

There is no doubt that recruited athletics receive tremendous assistance in getting admitted to the schools you listed. Based on the statistics presented above, you can even argue that probably none of the enrolled student-athletes had any business applying to these schools if it wasn't for sports.

That is correct. That is also why these kids who do not belong going to these high academic schools major in basket weaving, history, and criminal justice.

Yeah, basket weaving... Your small minded view demonstrates that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Here is a quote from a Harvard History Major:

“After five years on Wall Street working
for two of the largest investment banks in the world (Morgan Stanley &
UBS), I have found that communication skills are absolutely essential to
success in a career in finance. I would argue that one’s ability to write,
compose, and edit well is more important than one’s ability to create a
spreadsheet or perform quantitative-oriented tasks. So far in my career,
my communication skills have definitely set me apart from my peers.
Nearly all business problems I have faced were discussed, debated,
and ultimately solved either over e-mail or through more formal
correspondence (especially with clients), and it was my ability to present
well-formed arguments and logical solutions that frequently won me
praise from firm management. In this respect, the training I received
from the Harvard History Department prepared me EXTREMELY well
for my professional life. My advice to anyone who is not sure what they
can do with a Harvard History degree - Anything they want. It’s really
true!”

Choose a Major that you are passionate about, do well and get good grades and you can do whatever you want. Communication skills and leadership skills are critical in business.

The History Major or any Liberal Arts Major with excellent grades graduating from any Top 10 - 20 University will have many options, some will go on to Law School, some will go to Wall Street, some will go into Consulting some will go travel the world or play lacrosse until they figure out what they want to do.

You bring up excellent points. Kids going to the tippy top schools have a lot of potential opportunities. But a legitimate concern is how these student-athletes can successfully compete in the classroom against peers who are academically stronger (admission SATs 150-300 points higher) and who don’t have to devote 40 hr/week year-round practicing a sport. Fortunately, it’s very hard to fail out or three schools. But how realistic is it for the vast majority athletes to compete academically. Professors don’t usually give the whole class As. Some group in every class has to earn the lowest grade.

You are transparent with your passive aggressive backhanded complements.