Originally Posted by Anonymous
Lacrosse is a good game, but let's be honest the real sports are: Baseball, Football, Soccer, Basketball and Hockey. If you are a great athlete I never will understand why the push by parents for lacrosse? For the 10-50% scholarship that you will receive from a university at age 14 or 15? You have nothing big to shoot for with lacrosse after college. The MLL is a joke! Imagine your kid is really good at one of those other sports, why throw it away just to play college lax? For the parties? In 4 years you are finished unless maybe you can play in the beer league (MLL) for quarters. I never will understand it, I see many potentially great athletes just settle for lacrosse. Is it because dad played in the 80's when no one played the game outside the Northeast? So he pushes it hard on his kid? In our time if you could catch, run and throw you were the best around? The only thing that has evolved in lacrosse is how much of a huge money maker it is for certain people. Could you imagine your parents doing what parents do today, and for the same college scholarship money as we had 30-40 years ago! Everything since the 60's is the same in lacrosse. Sad but unfortunately all true.

Let me help you. Most people continue to play lacrosse to the highest level possible because they love the sport. Most of those same people are not trying to pursue a career as full-time professional athlete. Almost all of college athletes that play the other sports you mention also are not pursuing careers as professional athletes, but they use their sports to get better college opportunities, and they also love their sports. Having the opportunity to be a college athlete is a remarkable experience that only a minority of high school athletes get to experience; I take it you aren't one of those.