Originally Posted by Anonymous
Umm, actually Bay Shore happens to be a very good school district, do the research and get your facts straight before making asinine statements.

Bay shore school district def has a bad reputation regardless of what your research shows. Not sure how you change that...

Bad reputation in what regard? Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that people are more concerned with the demographics of the school than the quality of the education, which happens to be top notch.

I'm not sure if people really know what they're talking about but generally the word is that Bay Shore is not a good school district. I don't think people even know where to find out if it's "top notch" as you say it is. I'm not saying it's bad and I wouldn't even know where to look...

What a lot of people do not realize some of these districts are better than the numbers indicate. They are hampered by a few key statistics that ultimately comes down to money. The key stats that keep some of these districts lower are:
1. SAT scores. A district can go from bottom half to top 20 if the numbers increased by 200 points. It's not to say the kids are stupid but mom and dad can't afford to pay for the same SAT prep class and specialize tutor someone in hills/smithtown or GC can afford to pay for.

2. The number of kids going on to 2 and 4 year collage. I guarantee you there are kids in these so called under-performing schools that given the same opportunity would excel. Some of them finish high school with very good grades but cannot afford to pay for collage and thus decide to enter the workforce and that is a big knock on a district numbers.

3. The number of kids that are taking (paying) AP class again finances play a big part

Sorry, no district is better than their numbers. Their numbers are what they are. Any district can say, this or that, to make them seem better but the metrics are what they are.