Originally Posted by Anonymous
I’d th
I too am confused. Why do you care about GC so much?

I think the point is that D1 recruiting is now spread more widely across LI. In the “old days” a high percentage came from GC or Manhasset. Chaminade and St. Anthony’s are now the clear leaders with other D1 recruits coming from all over thanks to the rise of the club teams.
You may want to check the Hometowns of some of those Chaminade St Anthonys recruits, you'll be surprised how many are from GC/Manhasset.

Not sure I understand your point. In last few years there have been several Chaminade kids from GC who committed to play D1 lacrosse. To my knowledge all played for the big club programs and not for the GC team. The coach historically did not let GC kids play for his program unless they also went to GC High School. The reality is that Chaminade has put more GC residents into D1 programs in recent years than GC itself.

Not sure about current rosters but in the past some of the best players at Chaminade and St Anthony's have come from the "Lacrosse Towns". Massapequa, Garden City, Manhasset, Syosset, CHS, Smithtown, Ward Melville and others. Kids from all over go these schools. It's not just about Lacrosse.

Obviously it’s not in your blood if you were born somewhere you become a better lacrosse player. I think a lot of it had to do with the traditional towns producing better lacrosse kids because they started in first and second grade. This is going back many years. Now more towns are starting in first and second grade. In addition a lot of the other towns have great athletes play other sports other than lacrosse. Higher percentage of the great athletes play baseball or something else. As the sport grows those nontraditional towns will be drawing more of the good athletes that play baseball or maybe track to lacrosse. It does seem that the traditional towns do produce many of the best players. But again, it is because those towns start earlier and draw a higher percentage of the best athletes which the non-traditional towns don’t do but are now starting to.

I always felt that the biggest reason why places like Manhasset and Garden City have traditionally been so good, especially at the youth level, was that both towns were chock full of fathers who grew up playing lacrosse.