Originally Posted by Anonymous
What unfortunate event caused the Syosset goalie to be suspended? It wasn't bad fortune it was a bad decision!

You are joking. If he got hurt that would have been unfortunate. He made a very stupid decision that got him thrown off the team and let his whole team down. All the other players hard work and effort just down the drain. I feel that if he were in the game he would have had saved 1 or 2 of those goals. Come on the coach put in the 4th string goalie who is a defender to play the end of game. What was he thinking. I don't think coaches know how to handle goalies. Maybe if the coach had put in some of the other goalies in a bit more during the season they wouldn't have been so nervous. Goalie is a confidence position and coaches need to learn how to manage them better. Throwing goalies into a game where the season is on the line but you didn't get them in during regular season games how are you developing them. You actually set them up for failure in the game that meant the most for your team. Good job coach C!!!!!

Coming from an ex-goalie and goalie coach for over thirty years I can tell you that you are dead right on your statement. Playing the position requires absolute confidence in yourself and that your coach is one hundred percent behind you. So many head coaches do not understand the position and do not realize the importance of a solid CORE of goalies. You need to have two goalies ready to play at all times. Making sure TWO goalies are ready to go requires coaching and a lot of mental preparation especially for goalie #2. The hardest thing to do for any player in the game is lacrosse is to be the #2 or #3 goalie and come in to a game. Time needs to be given to these goalies in game situations at any time possible and coaching them at practice to keep them up is vital. So many head coaches do not understand this and I have seen it kill teams time and time again at the HS level and college level as well.

some of your points are valid but you are missing the biggest part of the equation, Talent.

The two positions that are rarely if ever coached in HS is fogo and goalie and they are arguably the two most important positions on the team (especially if they are not good). Fogo's and Goalies get all of their coaching from private trainers not from their HS coaches that usually do not have the time or skill set to properly coach those skills.

It does not matter how much confidence a kid has if he does not have ability. It is easy on BOTC to say a team should have two capable goalies but how many public's have 2 quality goalies, 2 quality fogo's, two quality lefty attack ect ect. even at the privates (St A and Chammy) that get one great goalie after another and most years send two or three goalies per grade to play in college you still do not see anything near equal playing time, they are just like every other team that plays one goalie 90% of the time. and in college it is worse.

So let's use Syosset as an example. They had 8 games where the won by 5 or more goals. Some by 8 or more. You have 3 full-time goalies on the team. Who have dedicated themselves to the position. Getting shot on every day in practice. You have your starter and every day he steps in the net he risks injury. So as a coach you don't prepare your back ups? I would say that's horrible coaching. You need to make sure your goalies are ready especially if your starter goes down. Any opportunity you get you get your back up in. It's not like you can't put your starter back in if it starts to get close. Coaches have no clue how to handle goalies. Unless they were a goalie themselves.

You are so right getting in games that are blow outs don't help your goalies either. They have to feel the pressure just like the starter.