Originally Posted by Anonymous
I'm confused, I agree that if the rule in NYS is "four years" of play than they should accept punishment and move on. But what gets me is that you routinely see other top lacrosse schools that offer PG programs that play fifth year seniors or PG players and this seems to be just fine as it relates to rankings and recruiting. Just look at the rankings on Inside Lacrosse every year. Most of the top teams are playing fifth year kids anyway, not to mention that like St. Anthony's they recruit kids to play there and are not restricted to set geographic boundaries like the public schools. Isn't it time to have two classifications in the rankings, one for geographically restricted public schools and one for non geographically restricted private schools with PG kids. Not trying to take anything away from either school type but I think it would offer a more even playing field in determining rankings. Lets call it what it is, private and private PG schools have an upper hand both in geography of recruits as well as fifth year players on their rosters. It creates an uneven playing field. If private and private PG schools were in one classification and public schools were in another as it relates to rankings this incident wouldn't even be an issue. I am all for the teams crossing over and playing each other, but we need separate classifications at this point.

1). There are many public schools with hold backs/pg's what ever you want to call them on them. It is not only privates.

2). There is a NFHS (National Federation of State High Schools) rules which dictate the years of eligibility. I believe it states between year 9 and 12 you can only have 4 years of eligibility, the real scammers are those that repeat 8th (not skip 8th grade) to gain the 5 year. Many true privates aren't NFHS schools and don't following that rule. You want to get technical, there is a rule you can't play two games in one day. Not so sure the better public Ct schools play by that rule or else the dominoes would fall fast.

3). Lets not talk harp on geographic boundaries. The distance some towns across this state have are seemingly limitless. The schools with high enrollemet and lower enrollment both have competitive teams

4). Recruiting, yes coaches are involved with Club teams and can say hey why not come to my school. But as to actively recruit not to sure about that. Maybe the top 1% but who wouldnt reach out to see if interest is there. You are telling me some towns dont lure and reach out and say why dont you move here and we can have a special team, that happens as well.

5). Even playing field, How even is Wm playing against Lindy Sachem East Whitman Huntington. or Pequa vs Union Baldwin Oceanside Freeport
How about playing competitive Li lacrosse. Stop the BS and make power ranking and then do a tournament of Champions

Point 2

I doubt an school ever played 2 games in one day during HS season. As far as individual players, you need a full overnight before you can play a second game. You can dress and be on the bench but can't step on the field.

1. Not true, no public schools have any player ever playing after their senior year. Not talking about an eighth grader playing varsity and than playing four more years for a total of five years. Talking about players playing HS level lacrosse after graduation.

2. This is true but again an eight grader repeating like this is really rare in the public schools.

3., 4. Once again public schools have far smaller geographic boundaries and public school coaches recruiting kids from other towns to move their families so Johnny can play lacrosse?? Never happens, as a matter of fact I can only think of one or two occasions this happened (Hicksville to Sachem a few years back).

5. Really?, I think you missed the point again. We are talking about an even playing field among the top teams. All conferences and divisions have weaker teams, no way to get around that. While I agree there should be a better system than what is in place for making sure lower level teams play fewer upper level teams, The point is when we are talking about the top teams there should be a separation between public and private. Not trying to take anything away from the privates and the PG schools i think they play great lacrosse and the teams should cross over and play each other, it makes for great lacrosse but when it comes to rankings it just unfair.

2 - Run for the Hills if you want to do this in public, no?

5 - We are talking even playing field. Once the teams are established or you know what the teams will be for the next year - you can set the stage for competitive games, Public or Private, that is the point. This can be accomplished on LI if you wanted to. It starts with Li sections allow for 5 non league games (not just 2), mandate more than just the top 5 cant play teams 13 and below. This could also allow for a better playoff, less rematches and more build ups for Playoffs. Maybe Ward Melvile doesn't play Smithtown in the regular season, but plays (Darien CSh and Hill or Culver) and then run head-on into the Playoffs against Smithown. This could make lacrosse great again, it starts with the schedule. Help make all the games to be 5 goals games.