Originally Posted by Anonymous
Over the years there has been a lot of complaining on here about the selection process for the Under Armour tryouts. Many people seem to think that Long Island has the best talent and that the only reason the LI Team team doesn't win every year is because the coaches pick the wrong players.

I just looked at the Inside Lacrosse Preseason All-American Team and it looks like maybe 5 of the 58 players are from Long Island. I think maybe the reason Long Island doesn't win every year is because other areas also have good players. I am guessing that Baltimore and the Philly area have more AA's...

Under Armour on Long Island has become a joke and yes the better kids shy away because of coaching. Our performance last year was embarrassing and not a true reflection of the top talent on Long Island. In addition, we now take kids from well outside the Island to play while cutting good talent that shows up at the tryouts. Like Jake Reed, Nike Bluechip, Under Armiur will also pass. Don’t waste your money....

The LI UA tryouts are by far one of the most attended events by college coaches. The selection process and control by the 2 largest clubs and the catholic schools has plagued the LI team but now has run its course. They have set up a competing event so they can have 100% control and of course charge those families twice as much. I would expect UA to have a more fair playing field as the NLF kids and their program directors move on.

Over the years I have heard many complaints but from what I have seen there are only a handful of players capable of making the UA teams who do not play for one of the 2 clubs that you reference.