Originally Posted by Anonymous
HS officiating this year has been awful. Some of these guys are so old we hav to warn the trainer that they might not make it. Can't imagine this ios the best we can do

How about thank the official for the job he is doing rather than criticizing the way he’s doing it…..at least he’s out there and not on an anonymous message board

Ha. Agreed. The best thing I ever heard an official tell a set of parents who were riding him the whole game was “We are always looking for volunteers…”. That shut them up.

I'm all for supporting officials. I thank each and every one, if I see them after the game. BUT, it is not a volunteer position. They get paid. Maybe it is or isn't enough for the BS they put up with, but the market will determine that on its own.

I am sure the ref didn't mean volunteer as in "do it for free". He probably meant "volunteer": to get paid way below market value for a job where you get continually abused. Officials need a break from sideline warriors who don't contribute or grow the game and just criticize.