Originally Posted by Anonymous
NYSPHSAA is a non profit association not an official NY State department....so basically garbage in garbage out. NYSed.gov official NY State Education site states Syosset at 2097, Farmingdale at 1905, Freeport 2267,Uniondale 2255, Massapequa 1807 Hempstead 2415. So the original post and the person who thought they corrected the original post are both wrong.
So at the end of the day....what does the mean to everyone and how does it change your life?

I believe that in the grand scheme of things the more students the larger the pool of athletes. I think for certain towns this can be true but for others who happen to have a large immigrant population it creates a false pool of actual athletes. Some towns have become major draws for academics others for both academics and services. Towns like GC, Manhasset even though they are smaller tend to have a very well rounded student body. Very cookie cutter very white and parents that really care about athletics and academics so do their children. Massapequa, Farmingdale, and Oceanside have always been known as hard nose blue collar families have a more diverse but not very diverse population.Parents care about athletics and school. Syosset is in a league of its own. has a pretty diverse student body where there are families that dont care about sports but are 110% committed to academics (Indian, Pakistani, Asian) Then there are those families that are a mix of academics and athletics. They are the ones that make up the majority of their athletes. They pay big bucks to get their kids training and classroom tutoring. Due to Syossets size they have a larger pool of these types of athletes. Port Washington is academically strong but also filled with ESL students and families seeking services for their children with special needs. Due to the large number of Spanish speaking students they have a much smaller pool of student athletes. being one of the smallest schools in the big school division they tend to have the biggest srtuggle fielding teams. Look at their football program and where they are now. Thats my take on this conversation.