Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Change topic, what does having D-1 commits have to do with anything? I know players out there that are not committed that can outplay the committed players, out dodge, out shoot, defensively shut them down. There are several on many of the schools that people on this board like to bash. Let's get a grip, most of the D-1 commits are due to parents and not the players, there are a few exceptions but I would say nearly 85% of the early commits are due to the parents.

I would call this post stupid, but that would be a huge insult to all the stupid posts. If you are saying the number of early commits has little bearing on the teams future success we have a starting point for a discussion. But to claim that the only reason kids get an early commit is because of the parents is "fake news", Kids ability, College coaches interest as well as travel teams marketing of the kid all have major roles in the ER and yes the parents play a large part but to think that a parent can force a college to commit to their kid is just stupid.

I don't think the poster was claiming that colleges are offering kids who can't play just because their parents push it. I think he or she was just saying that the talented players that are committed can be matched by players who are just as talented, but who aren't committed yet, simply because their parents have not yet played the game with all the showcases, travel teams, ect. Whether or not this is true is a different question, but I think you misread their point, or maybe it was just poorly stated.

Also, many kids that are committed are still young (9th grade, for example). They are committed because some D1 coach projects them to be awesome in 4 years. These kids may not, at present, be as good as an 11th or 12th grader who is not yet committed, but may wind up at D2 or D3 or playing some other sport in college.