Originally Posted by Anonymous
I agree with you. The demographics are changing all over the island....they always have and always will. Look at the student body in your elementary schools if you don't believe me. If you look at the elementary schools in a district like Syosset and even Manhasset, you will see a lot more Asians and Indians. They are flocking to these districts because of the academics. But lets be honest, these kids don't go out for big team sports outside of maybe soccer and to some extent basketball. It is probably safe to say a district like Syosset will have a hard time fielding a "competitive" lacrosse team in 10 to 15 years. (And lets not even talk about football) Syosset will look more like a Jericho or Great Neck by then. The difference with GC is there are generations of families in that town. I bet more than half of the GC parents you meet on the sidelines also grew up in GC. (There is something to be said about that) I remember playing HS lacrosse in the 80's. Some of the tough teams then are not even mentioned today. Sewanhaka and or Carey, MacArthur, Island Trees....where are they now? GC was and will always be tough because their demo has not changed in 100 years.

Syosset will be a memory when it comes to contact sports (i.e.. football, lacrosse, wrestling ) within the next 5 years. The diversified athlete that so many college coaches seek will be less and less from Syosset like towns and the so-called lax rat only player will give way to the more athletic kid from the southern and western hotbeds in the states. College coaches want athletes and toughness not a fancy prancy sissy and Syosset like towns and their lacrosse programs will start to erode once big name coaches stop looking to them for recruits.

So, I guess then that all the athletic middle school kids from Syosset needs to move out to somewhere in Suffolk County or Texas...

While I think there is some merit in the above post, I think that Nassau (and Suffolk) will continue to be a hot bed for lacrosse for quite a long time, certainly longer than 5 years. Let's not forget that the Number #1 college freshman in country for lacrosse is a Syosset kid.

That college freshman was no fancy prancy sissy growing up in Syosset. How many kids were HS, Pee Wee football players from the last 2 seasons. Most of the 2015 football team played lacrosse and you think the success of both teams was coincidental. Even the college freshman you speak of, what other sports did he play growing up giving him the toughness he had, pretty sure there was some physicality in those sports as well as the box lacrosse he plays. The Syosset lacrosse player in 5 years will be just that, a lacrosse player not an athlete. That was my point.

So, in 5 years a Lacrosse Player from Syosset will not be an athlete? That's funny logic.

Athlete | Definition of Athlete by Merriam-Webster
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/athlete
Definition of athlete. : a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.

Last time I checked, lacrosse met the above definition. I"m not sure what will change in 5 years time.

Parents like yourself are the root cause of the change and what will be missed is the kid of a parent who doesn't need a dictionary to determine what an athlete is. There are no words that can describe what will make a kid get up when he gets knocked down or runs through a check and digs deep when he's exhausted. Those words you want to throw around mean zip if a kid ain't got IT ! And the IT is the athlete Syosset like towns will no longer have in 5 years from today. Sure you can be slick against some of the lesser towns but the real athletes will be long gone. Multiple sport athletes are a thing of the past and long live the lacrosse helicopter parent, can't wait to see you crash and burn.

The definition was for your benefit pal - not mine. You have no idea what you are talking about. Go have a drink and relive your glory days - if you ever had any. Don't worry about Syosset athletes - worry about your own town.