Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Comparing NYS Sections that are more rural than 8 or 11 does not take into account that there MAY be NYSPHSAA scheduling allowances/exceptions for more diverse play in those Sections, allowances not provided to urban and/or suburban sections, such as 8 and 11. As an extreme example, even between Section 8 and 11, CSH was put into Section 8 despite truly being a Section 11 locale just because they were geographically closer to comparable sized schools in order to make travel reasonable. I don't have access to the rules, that govern the schedules, but unless you have empirical knowledge that is contrary, your apples to oranges comparisons do not disprove the stated general basis for the schedules that exist today. You might make the argue that Section 1 (or 2, but having attended college in the Albany area, I can tell you that is not the case!) is not more rural than Section 11, but the only opinion that matters in that sense is how NYSPHSAA considers Section I in that regard (or how it considered both sections when it set up and/or amended the current rules). If someone with explicit knowledge of these details wants to offer up info supporting one side or the other, it would answer the question as opposed to supposition. But, at this point, it seems the NYSPHSAA rule shave been mentioned more often than not, and when considered against an argument supported by anecdotal observation, the latter seems more based on supposition than the former.

I am not an historian but CSH has been playing a Nassau schedule forever. and for all the points being made in all the above posts, they made power conferences for girls HS in Section 8 so it is possible, it just takes work and it also means it is not against NYS rules

No one said it was impossible nor without effort to enact changes. On the girls side, do we know that NYSPHSAA did not make a rule or rule exception to allow for power conferences? And, yes, CSH has been in Section 8 since I think the 50s per some posts a while back - not sure what the deal was with them before that. But they didn't just do it of their own volition.