Originally Posted by Anonymous
He's going into 8th. A very talented kid who doesn't need to play down to build confidence or get more playing minutes. Sometimes plays down to help out and takes playing time away from other kids in that team. Pathetic. I feel bad for those kids who work hard all year only to see that kid come in a take playing time away. Sorry but - a 2004 birth year should be playing 2022. Many true 2023s are still only 11. It's a safety issue and leveling the playing field issue. Lacrosse should change the tournament rules nationally like soccer did this year to a U(age) format. Especially since WsYL enforces birth date. Kids should only play birth year only. Kids should have photo ID cards from US Lacrosse with birth date checked by refs before each game and coaches submit rosters. At the end of the day, the kids just want to play fair, in competitive games and get better each season. With dreams of playing D1 lacrosse, just like every little leaguer dreams to play in the MLB. Fair play = conitinued growth nationally of Lacrosse. Hopefully, the new recruiting rules will start to help this problem.

Youth Sports cutoff dates need to be staggered ...Hockey is Jan 1 ...Lacrosse should be Sept 1...Baseball is May 1st (I think)...Soccer ?...basketball ?

Why do they need to be staggered? Whether it be the start of the calendar year or the school year or the season, once you pick the date and move forward, it's a non-issue thereafter. If I was to pick a date, I would probably go with school year, but to be honest, Jan 1 is the easiest to deal with as everyone in each age group is born within the same year(s).

The date set by US lacrosse is sept 1. There is no debate.