Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can someone tell me, with the explosion of travel lacrosse, and with the parity that we saw this past weekend....how come there are not more games between teams? Why travel all over the place when there is such a good stable of teams right here on LI.

Seems obvious to me, but I am new to this stuff also.

Fall ball is bonus lacrosse. You can't judge teams by how they play in the fall for a few reasons. First, some teams will have a lot of new players that are not familiar with the offense/defense calls. Second, some teams don't really practice much in the fall because it's not necessary. Lastly, there are contributing team members that don't even play in the fall because it's football season.

To answer your question though, many of these programs run their own tourneys and the season is only essentially 8 weeks long. If the Orange team plans a tourney on the same weekend as Express or the Blue team, you won't see everyone. Also, it's nice to get off of the island and see some of the other teams. Many people on here claim that their team is top 10 in the nation, but have never played the top Maryland, Virginia, Phil and Boston clubs. Newsflash... they're awesome. A spring league would be great, but from what I gather, field space is the issue. That's how they do it in Maryland. All of the top clubs play each other every week. That's why there are so many more elite quality clubs down south.