Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why can't the positive reinforcement take place with a guy who knows what he's teaching? Seriously, can I teach kid who has been swimming for 5 years at high levels how to swim if I've never put my toe in the water? Would you pay a swim coach who drowns when he hits the pool? simulated swimming from outside the pool with a shirt and a whistle doesn't make you qualified to instruct the swimmers. A coach who can't perform a split dodge shouldn't be teaching spilt dodges. A coach who screams not to take a ground ball, obviously never had to pick up a ground ball with a large defender directly in front of him. Problem is, parents copy what the ding bat is saying and the kid pays the price 10 fold from the chirping parents and the ding bat coach - all who haven't a clue and have never done it themselves and couldn't perform it for a million bucks

Listen, I get what you're saying. And in a perfect world, skilled former players would be coaching all of our kids. But unfortunately, in most cases, those guys don't want to be bothered coaching a bunch of little kids whose shoes still need tying and noses need wiping. That's when you get guys like me. I know that there are limitations to how much I can teach these boys, and to be honest, I've just about reached that point. However, I immerse myself completely into it and learn everything I can. I talk to former players, watch as much as I can, and go to coaching clinics. I've had a stick in my hands now for over 10 years and even joined a men's league two years ago. I can teach you just about every dodge because I've learned them and practiced on my older guys. I get my hands dirty every practice. Am I the best coach out there? Of course not. But if no one else is going to step up, then sometimes a guy like me is not a terrible option.

Great points. Its a shame how ungrateful some of these parents are towards dad coaches. Its a thankless gig. If the kid is learning and having fun, the coach's past lax experience is irrelevant. I hope your team parents appreciate what you do. I know we certainly appreciate our coach.