Originally Posted by Anonymous
There is a good deal of chatter about Express 2023 HB Team. It started out cordial about a parent asking if it is worth keeping his son on the team if all it means is he may get cut next year. From a parent where my son was cut from the team after playing with them for 3 years, and there were only 5 of us, the team dynamic was awesome. Kids loved one another and the parents all got along (let's leave the BM incident out of the equation).

My son was cut and, in the long run, it may be the best thing that happened to him. AJ is an awesome coach and you would know this if you attended any of his practices or really watched him during the game. Yes, he is quiet but don't mistake that for passiveness. He is very passionate about the game and making kids better. His only real downfall is his lack of communication. It may sound naïve but the team had a good season and everyone, at least I thought, had the hopes this would be one of those teams where the kids stay together through to the end of travel lacrosse. Had I known this was not the case, I could have prepared for the inevitability. With the exception of a few stand-outs on the team, there is very little disparity from the top to the bottom. I don't think saying a kid is a 7th or 8th midfielder is fair/accurate. I think the coaches were so used to the boys and their roles that, regardless of how they played, they viewed them a certain way so some of them were simply under-utilized. It's hard for a child to advocate for themselves and a parent can only change the coaches mind so much.

It was a big blow to my son as it was probably for any child cut from a team. It still stings and I worry he may not have the same passion for the game as he doesn't want to be disappointed again. I hope I am wrong but we did scramble to make a couple of late tryouts. He was not his best and it showed. We found a team and the coach is a great guy. He likes my son and I am hoping he brings out the best in him. If you have ever heard the saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure" it rings true.

My hope is Express 2023 does great and I will continue to root for them and AJ... except when my son plays them smile

Go ahead and beat me up now!!!

His lack of communicaion is a BIG issue for me. The team/kids hut a brick wall with no warning. A coach who can't communicate is NOT a good coach. Sorry but it's the truth.