Originally Posted by Anonymous
SYAG select beat Manhasset 32 9-8 in the Championship. Great game by both teams.

Nice to see a town team like Manhasset make it to the finals against travel teams like SST and SYAG. That program has a future.

Sure it does....

Now this is funny. How many of the Manhasset kids play travel? True town teams are just that...town teams. All levels. "32" was invite only.

Seemed like that team was basically a combo of two travel teams....

So now to qualify as a true town team the kids can't play anywhere else. Interesting.

No, that's not what I'm saying. Obviously, tons of kids play travel. What I'm saying is that to be a considered a true town team you can only have kids from your town. Whether they play travel or not is irrelevant. No extras from outside that play for your kid's travel team or anything like that. We all know that one or two kids can make a tremendous difference on a team. Many travel teams masquerade as town teams but have as many as 5 kids from outside of the town. There are very few true town teams that can compete with travel clubs. I was just giving kudos to Manhasset for beating some travel teams. There are a very small number of town-only teams that can compete with travel clubs. Three Village is one that comes to mind. To play on their A team (travel & PAL), you must be from 3V and not play on another club. Teams like that are the exception, but also why they are so good at Varsity level.