Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not sure the point of all this back and forth, but I think its fair to say that on any given day the top 4-5 publics could beat just about any private school, but for the most part, the best 6-7 privates would beat any public school most of the time (not all of the time, ex. Broadneck). The A conf. privates consistently play harder schedules while the top public schools maybe play a few competitive games their entire season. That doesn't mean they are not good teams, just means they are not seeing the same level of competition week in and week out.

As to the point about saving money, if someone picks a private school solely for lacrosse then they truly are missing the bus and doing things for the wrong reason. If someone sends their kid to private school hopefully its for the educational advantages (or religious reasons) that school may offer over their local public, and even if its a bottom tier MIAA A school, that player will still play against top teams each week, rather than playing against some of the lower tier publics that struggle to even field teams.

I agree with what you say. I do think there is more quality better players now. The explosion of Club is producing more good players than in the pass. Not sure how that will translate in in quality of teams in Public compared to the better private schools. I can imagine it will boost the quality players of Public schools more as privates already are getting a huge amount of quality players.

That was really the initial point, along with taking some shots at a few of the chronic primadonna a-h01es on here that hate on teams, as well as the poor misdirected parents who are slaving to send their kid to a top private school so they can sit and watch lacrosse for 3-4 years because they have fallen victim to that mentality. Of course their are plenty of good people who do it for good reasons, but those people are most likely not on here constantly criticizing other teams.

As the pool of talent grows, the decision to spend the money in 9th-12th vs. saving for college becomes a more serious consideration. Especially with the rise in college tuitions. When private schools like Spalding and Mt. St Joe can hang with teams like Loyola and BL, but get beat by several of the top public schools, its a sign that the talent pool is improving across the board. While Club tournaments, college showcases, events like UA, Brine, Warrior, Maverick and resources like HUDL, cross-over and even Youtube have dramatically improved player exposure to colleges, athletes in the most remote areas, or even on the weakest teams are finding plenty of opportunities if they are smart about it. The sarcasm was directed more towards those elitist A-H0!es that constantly rip on Spalding because some other people are happy they have a talented group of kids coming through the program. That hater, elitist attitude stinks and it is one of the biggest reasons I decided to let my kid play for free at a great public school instead of entertaining inquiries from private schools. I will provide my kids religious education. We can navigate the other educational opportunities in High School the same way we can intelligently navigate the college recruiting, and my kid can compete against the top MIAA players all summer long, just like every year leading up to high school. So why should I spend $5-25k per year in high school, especially when MD soakes its residents for property taxes to pay for public school? Because William I and William II went there?

That is the decision I was alluding to in a multitude of terms. As the parity between teams and opportunties evolves, more and more people will be considering the same. That, along with the increase in talent will continue to drive the evolution of opportunity and in my opinion, it will impact the supply and demand curve for private schools if it has not already. So your tuition will probably be going up hater, while your discounts go down. And yes, in 2-3 years you will have to give William III a huge hug after he loses to Spalding on senior night.