Severn coaching staff includes proven MLL players. Matt Landis and Jack Doyle are proven players trying to make their mark in coaching. Their head coach was a star at Drexel and has worked for the school for years. They made the MIAA playoffs last year ahead of a couple of B County MIAA schools. After watching a lot of that team’s games, I can tell you that they are a much improved team since they played GPrep in their opener.

For those Spalding lovers that crow about beating Severn, they won in OT after Severn blew a 3 goal lead with 4 minutes left. Why? They ran out of gas. They lack depth and running only two lines of middles and no defense subs eventually gets you in trouble. For that instance, I blame coaching. Otherwise, try coaching at a school that costs $27 k/ year that does NOT pay for recruiting where each class only has 50 boys. They play B County MIAA that have 3-4 times the population to choose from.

AA County MIAA has been a non pay-for-recruiting scene for decades. The Spalding/Hawks deal may have completely changed that dynamic. We will see. Shame on them for putting winning at all costs ahead of standards. AA was always better than the McD/CHC win at all cost recruiting techniques employed by our friends up north.

Trust me, if Severn valued winning at all costs, they could make St Francis football recruiting look like choir boys. Anyone that suggests that Severn pays athletic scholarships doesn’t have clue. Oh, and Severn School is in Severna Park, not Glen Burnie. Geez....you get lost on the way to a game?