Originally Posted by Anonymous
Who watched/attended the Baltimore highlight callback game? What did you think?

Didn’t think the talent was there. Both games too many kids trying too hard to do it alone. Was not overly impressed with either game and certainly not the best players in the area. Good lacrosse; not great lacrosse. The event is not what it used to be. Thinking there are too many “elite” events out there now which is diluting the talent pool and the college coach attendance. Kids have also begun to realize that much of the team is decided before they even tryout so not worth their time during finals week, their parents money etc. unless they are connected. Very surprised to see the number of dad, high school and club coaches evaluating. Do they expect different results when all have a vested interest in having their son, club or high school represented? Perhaps have more objective evaluators involved? Really no different from the All MIAA, All County, All State teams throughout the region. Each high school coach fighting and negotiating behind the scenes for their own kids to make the lists and teams-not because they are the best players (or best coaches capable of making the best assessments) but because it validates them as coaches and is indirectly used as a marketing hammerhead for the school or club they are associated with.

I agree that the play was sloppy and selfish, but I can't think of too many stand out players who weren't there. Every kid was trying to make an impression and as a result there weren't a whole lot of guys sharing the ball or making the one more pass. My son in particular probably suffered as a result. One shot all game from the midfield. As a casual MIAA fan outside of my son's games, I recognized most of the kids trying out and I'd consider them the cream of the crop even if they didn't play that way at the call back game. Enough coaches were watching the tryouts that I think it was worth it despite the me ball on display at yesterday's game.

How was the goalie play? Heard there were six called back to yesterday’s game.