Originally Posted by Anonymous
Calvert Hall is doing what it takes to win MIAA Championships. The rest are playing catch up. It is a new era that many MIAA teams are being left behind.

Without CH, the MIAA would look like it has the last 10 years. One year BL wins, one year McD, One year St M wins, etc. Maybe a twofer here and there. Not now

CH will keep winning until someone catches up with them. BL boarding is BL saying, we are coming. That its for international students is a joke. McD has boarders and will start using it more in future to get out of state talent. Right now, its limited boarding isnt.

Us Lacrosse Magazine has a good article on CH lacrosse in the March and digital issue:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/high-...rt-hall-set-a-new-standard-of-excellence

There are good insights into the programs character, leadership, values, and discipline-

“The thing we do better than anywhere I’ve seen is our seniors run the show,” Cardinals assistant Joel Tinney says. “Some places, freshmen carry the balls, but not here. Our seniors are the last ones getting the balls, and they’re making sure everyone is in line. Rarely at a Calvert Hall practice do you see a coach get upset or call out a player because a senior is doing it before that.”

“It starts with leadership,” said Team USA coach Nick Myers, who has established a similar pipeline of Calvert Hall products to Ohio State, where he’s in his 12th season as the coach. “You have to start with Bryan and what he’s done.”

“What stands out about their team has always been their toughness,” says Brodie Merrill, the director of lacrosse at The Hill Academy. “They play a blue collar, ultra aggressive and physical style, not just compared to the MIAA, but all the teams that we play.”

Calvert Hall never discusses its past championships. After every practice, Kelly also tells his players that lacrosse is what you do. It’s not who you are.

Kelly got involved with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. At an Athletes in Action meeting, he heard evangelist Billy Graham say a coach can have more of an influence than a parent.

“I realized that’s what I wanted to do,” Kelly says. “I want to have an impact on these kids. I look at Calvert Hall coaching as my ministry.”

“He cares a lot about lacrosse, and it’s a big part of his life, but he is focused on much more than that,” says Syracuse midfielder Brendan Curry (CHC ’17). “That’s a way he gains trust in us. We know he has our best interests first, even before lacrosse.”