Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]Undoubtedly true but shouldn’t a surprise. I think the evaluators try to be impartial but if you’ve watched a kid play or coached against a kid (for a year or years in youth lacrosse), you have seen even more of them than a tryout allows. There are plenty of non-MIAA evaluators but the top players largely play in the MIAA-A and on the top club teams and so aren’t a mystery and hard to disguise them with a number pinney. So it stands to reason that coaches from the top programs have top players there or are familiar with them otherwise. I’m sure the Long Island evaluators and coaches are similar. Team 91/Express etc players from Chaminade or St Anthony’s are not only some of the best players, but likely to be well known to the coaches. Would be true in hockey or soccer I suspect... Is there a hidden bias, all else being equal, if a kid is wearing a Loyola or BL or McD lid vs a Fallston kid? Probably. But it also means that kid probably plays with or against top talent every day which just isn’t true with every team in MD. (There’s a good video on YouTube on the UA tryouts)

Well said and factual. I am an evaluator and your spot on. Comes down to the kids that play against the top competition regularly are given the benefit of the doubt. and 9 times out 10 they are the better players and show it. Just the way it is.

Baltimore tryouts during finals week 5/30-31 5pm -9pm w/ SAT Exam on Saturday. Will be tough during cunch time for these kids. DC's tryout 6/12-13

The problem is people lie, they say we are not looking at the helmet only the pinnie number. I remember five years ago 2 evaluators said my kid on that day was one of the 5 best middies at the try outs, also they tell you if you don't try you can't make team, also BS. All the kids pick were on the Turtles and 91 Orange.

True making the team is a crap shoot if you're not plugged in and elevators know you. However I have heard of surprise picks every year. College coaches do come these evaluations (at least in Baltimore and probably LI, Philly etc) so there is an opportunity to at least be in front of these guys. And it's open to all no matter what school or club...

May be open to all but the team is pretty much decided based on politics and cliques. In Baltimore region it is a waste of time and most kids know that. The "in" kids know they are shoe ins and the other kids who think it is an objective event go and become the token 1 or 2. The quality players without the right last name or legacy stay away as the ball never gets passed and the attitudes are sky high. Better to stay home and hit the wall to prep for team events.

What is the cost of this vary fair open to all Tryout this year?