Originally Posted by Anonymous
In my experience, by 4th-5th grade you can tell which kids are most athletic regardless of the sport they are playing. We all know who those kids are. They are faster and more coordinated, they can catch and throw and kick better and the biggest differentiator is their competitive fire! They are alsways around the ball.. My point is that those same kids who stand out in 7th/8th grade (holdback or not) usually do not fall back in the middle of the pack by their junior yr. So many of you say "just wait until the other boys hit their growth spirt"... On a very rare occasion have I seen a late bloomer come out of nowhere and become the "star athlete".

Wow, you are a colossal idiot. You sound like my son's PAL coaches. One nut job told me my son didn't have the right muscle fibers at 11 years old. (his son never played in HS or college) Like you, they couldn't have been more wrong. I have one in college playing and another committed to a top 20 D1 program. Neither were the best, fastest, most athletic in 4th or 5th grade. In fact, one was heavy, and one ran on his heels. Fast forward a few years. One committed as a jr, the other a soph. Lacrosse is unique sport, where dynamic hard working Lacrosse players, surpass superior athletes all the time. It's a rare sport where you can be big, fast, small, tall, short, thick, skinny and still compete at the highest levels. Is being a freak athlete a benefit? Sure. A prerequisite? No. BTW the kid who ran on his heels, became the fastest kid on his HS team. The heavy one, breaks poles ankles anywhere on the field. Don't think my two where outliers, just hard workers at a sport they loved.
Do everyone a favor and take your insane border line creepy assessment of 4th and 5th grade babies somewhere else. Who watches kids that closely? Creeper!!!!

If your kids a sophomore, why are you trolling the 2020 page? I call BS on all of your claims. Just does not work that way! Guy is correct. It is the rare kid who "comes out of nowhere". Why is it creepy watching 5th graders? I did when my sons they were in 5th, then 6th, then 7th......pretty much everything stayed the same. Maybe you were in your car drinking beers while we were all watching the boys play and develop? You sound very angry tool bag, and need to chill a bit.

Oh I can't read other threads now? Call BS all you want,100% TRUE! Doesn't that just burn you? Sorry my kids stories don't fit your dopey narrative, that a kids athletic destiny is set in 4th grade. Take your kid to a clinic or the gym, maybe he'll have half the success mine have had. You're completely and patently clueless on how this and other sports work. Did you watch the Giant game dummy? Rodgers and Matthews had a combined zero D1 offers out of HS!!! Rodgers played at Jr College and then transferred to Cal, and Matthews walked on at USC. I guess nothing changed in their Athletic development either? They just happen to be on the same team and superstars on opposite sides of the ball. I guess it does work that way!!! And yes, you're still creepy.
P.S. No anger here, just can't believe how stupid people like you are. Nothing changes after 4th or 5th grade? How do you even write something like that? Good luck to your poor kid...

I do think 4 or 5th is a little early to dismiss many kids as future good players. I do think that as each year goes by there are less and less players that come out of woodwork. 7-9th grades seem like the most changes take place. But you better be in sport to take advantage of new skills and athleticism.
My experience is that the late blooming really good athletic kid chooses another sport besides Lacrosse. Like Football or basketball.