Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The problem is not the kid, his parents, his qualifications, his abilities, etc. The problem is that early recruiting is out of control. The Ivy league sends out a press release saying they are against early recruiting and within day we have the earliest commit ever to Princeton. I'm sorry - there are 12th graders with 4.0+ GPAs and perfect SAT scores that may not get into Princeton - but they are going to provide a verbal commitment to a 14 year old? You can't have it both ways.

Why so much heartburn about early recruiting? Does not really impact my kid if another kid commits early.

Afraid that all the good spots will be taken? If your kid's not getting noticed in his peer group now, will probably be pretty much the same (for most) in 2-3 years.

How can a 9th grader know what he wants in a college? If the kid is getting a foot in the door at Hopkins or Duke or Notre dame, or Princeton, I have a hard time seeing a downside.

I don't think anyone here would say "no thanks" if any of those schools came knocking for their 9th grader.

You answered your own question - "How can a 9th grader know what he wants in a college?" In addition to that, it pushes all of the elements of recruiting - including the associated stresses - down to younger and younger kids. And that, in turn, encourages players and parents to game that system and/or get caught up in it. Personally, I don't think a college should be able to make contact with a student athlete until they hit their junior year. There's very little good that comes of early recruiting.