Originally Posted by America's Game
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I live in the first world. Early recruiting is a problem.

A problem for whom? Don't think it's a problem for the kids getting recruited, I don't hear any of them complaining.

The schools? I think those huge institutions, with tens of thousands of students and multi-billion dollar endowments will be ok if they take bets on a handful of kids each year.

So who then?

If you don't think it is a problem for the kids that are getting recruited, then you have spoken to the wrong parents (whose kids have been forced into this situation). The kids are too young to make this important decision, they have no idea what they are really committing to, and it puts them under an extreme amount of pressure every time they step onto the field. The kids are the only ones being hurt and there is NO reason that this needs to be happening.

Travel sports have become a pressure cooker for kids. Its a shame but thats the nature of the beast. I think your forgetting one vital component. Parents are 100% involved in the process. Do you think a parent is not looking out for their childs best interest. I am sure that a parent is doing everything in their power to make sure their child has the best opportunity in life. You are making it sound as if its Lord of the Flies and kids are on their own. Thats not the case and the parents of early commits to top academic programs have done their homework.

The parents feel pressure too, and it doesn't have to be this way. The parents do like it one bit. There is no reason this needs to be happening in 9th grade (or even before) no reason.