Originally Posted by Anonymous
Folks I can tell you first hand what it feels like to be a late bloomer and being passed over for size at this age. 9th and 10th grade so many boys grew and became men and I still was a boy. Coaches will always tell me if i only had size. They knew i had better skill and had the determination but lack of the puberty thing did hurt. I was 5'5" 125lbs. Going up against the bigger physically mature kids was a major challenge. Most of these boys stop growing at this time. I knew i had to start lifting and come into my own. By my senior year was only 5"7" 155 but was gaining confidence. So all the spots were taking by colleges, and i still wasnt getting looks. When i graduated i lifted hard started filling out and then surpassed many guys. Walked on a div 1 school the next year as a sophmore 5'9" 185 and was killing people. And became a starter and did many great things on the field. Tell your boys do not give up. But unfortunately for this sport the early bloomer gets the worm. I dont like to see kids fail but many late bloomers will be surpassed. My 2019 is just like me and it sucks. But i tell him to keep working hit the gym and good things will come with hard work. Good luck to all hope this helps someone.

Great advice, what you say is true. Told my son the same. He is still small, but growing now. His size made him work harder. He has also been on several visits to top 30 schools and has 3 solid offers and will be deciding within the next couple weeks. Good luck to all the boys. Lots of opportunities for those who persevere through the craziness. I do laugh now thinking about all the posts claiming my shorter son would not be rercruited. Clearly people have no idea what they're talking about on here.

Bigger skilled kids will get more looks. Size does matter, and you know it!

Didn't for mine!! We are thrilled with all the offers. My son will be going to a top school that he would never have been able to get into, and he is short. Wooo Hooo