Originally Posted by Anonymous
When are you people going to stop crying about holdbacks? It is what it is, US Lacrosse has given the message that they will not fixing this anytime soon, which is why I stopped renewing my childrens memberships (yes you can still register for tounaments using your old number). ALL the clubs condone and encourage holdbacks. You are fighting a loosing battle. You should put your energy into getting your kid recruited. Plenty of on age kids have college commitments, including my own.
I'm sorry, but until lacrosse goes to an aged based system, like most other sports I'm not going to stop 'crying' about what 8th/9th grade holdbacks are doing to the game. Now, if the only reason the youth game of lacrosse exists is for college recruitment, then yes whatever means possible, get recruited. Having played in HS 40 years ago and to see the current direction, where my own son, who has strong stick skills, but is undersized and quite frankly can't compete with kids 1-2 years older, has decided he'd rather no longer play summer lacrosse.( Just turned 14) So yeah, I'm going to cry about what a grade based system is doing to the game, by encouraging kids (the parents really) to play down for early recruitment versus every other sport where kids play up to be noticed.