Originally Posted by Anonymous
The initial idea was that this Warrior team would represent the best 2025 players from LI. My older sons are 2022 and 2023. Those tryouts were legitimately comprised of the best kids I've seen. Unfortunately, that's not how it turned out for the 2025's. Maybe they're too young still. Most of these boys are still scared of the dark and hold mommy's hand in the mall. I know mine is!

Here's the truth: I was at the tryout with my youngest son. I didn't think he was one of the top players in the age group (and I still don't), but he's pretty good, above average but definitely a step or two below the top kids, and his older brothers did it so he wanted to as well. How could I say no? Anyway, there were maybe 30-35 kids at the tryout (probably less than 1/2 the amount of the 2024's). I don't know how many Blast or Express or Geese, but there were some of each, plus others.

The reality of the tryout is that because of the low turnout, most of the boys will make the team by default. My son looked like one of the better kids there (through my eyes anyway, but you know how that goes!) and he'll probably make the team. I'll be thrilled if he does because he'll think its cool. It still won't mean he's one of the best in the age group, because he's not, and I'm ok with it.

What everyone needs to do is appreciate it for what it is and not let it go to your heads. That's asking a lot, I know smile It doesn't mean that your son is the best. It doesn't mean that he belongs on one of the top teams. It doesn't mean that he's going to play D1 lacrosse in college. It doesn't even mean that he's going to start on his middle school team. It means that you have the opportunity to spend some more money on a great (hopefully) tournament and spend some quality time with your child. Enjoy it, because it's going to be gone before you know it!