Originally Posted by Anonymous
The original post was misunderstood apparently, thought you were saying that this age group players must be playing other sports like soccer and hockey which is why there are no lax studs....meaning they are not concentrating on just lax but playing lax & soccer or lax & hockey so that's why there are no "game changers". As for playing multiple sports if you happen to read anything other than BOTC you would find many many articles pinpointing the positives of kids playing multiple sports. Healthline news article dated August 29, 2016 titled "Children should play more than one sport, pediatricians recommend". The American Academy of Pediatrics issues a report that says children are getting injured as well as burned out from specializing in a single sport. But what does the AAP know or the Exec director of the National Council of Youth Sports???

I cannot comment on the AAP or the NCYS articles as I has not read them so I do not know the parameters of the studies they did. I do know that overuse injuries in children usually involve the legs, more specifically the knees and hips. Those are high impact injuries suck as mice fracture and OCD lesions. Those are do to repetitive running, jumping etc. so if you play baseball as another sport, I see what your saying. Unfortunately baseball is the main sport that leads to overuse injuries of the arm and shoulder. Most of the studies done speak about UCL injuries and Rotator cuff injuries due to the repetitive throwing of a baseball and how unnatural that is. So, it may be better to play 1 sport with more off time out of season and fitness training than to play a different sport every season. Those studies will be published soon. Btw. It's called practicing medicine because it's a constant learning process and what was thought to be known 5 years ago is different than what is thought to be known today and will be different than what is thought to be known 5 yrs from now. Especially as newer technologies lead to more accurate diagnosis.

The original post was misunderstood apparently, thought you were saying that this age group players must be playing other sports like soccer and hockey which is why there are no lax studs....meaning they are not concentrating on just lax but playing lax & soccer or lax & hockey so that's why there are no "game changers". As for playing multiple sports if you happen to read anything other than BOTC you would find many many articles pinpointing the positives of kids playing multiple sports. Healthline news article dated August 29, 2016 titled "Children should play more than one sport, pediatricians recommend". The American Academy of Pediatrics issues a report that says children are getting injured as well as burned out from specializing in a single sport. But what does the AAP know or the Exec director of the National Council of Youth Sports???

I cannot comment on the AAP or the NCYS articles as I has not read them so I do not know the parameters of the studies they did. I do know that overuse injuries in children usually involve the legs, more specifically the knees and hips. Those are high impact injuries suck as mice fracture and OCD lesions. Those are do to repetitive running, jumping etc. so if you play baseball as another sport, I see what your saying. Unfortunately baseball is the main sport that leads to overuse injuries of the arm and shoulder. Most of the studies done speak about UCL injuries and Rotator cuff injuries due to the repetitive throwing of a baseball and how unnatural that is. So, it may be better to play 1 sport with more off time out of season and fitness training than to play a different sport every season. Those studies will be published soon. Btw. It's called practicing medicine because it's a constant learning process and what was thought to be known 5 years ago is different than what is thought to be known today and will be different than what is thought to be known 5 yrs from now. Especially as newer technologies lead to more accurate diagnosis.

thanks dr. Oz