Originally Posted by Anonymous
Years ago before social media became so prevalent, coaches coached and parents were supportive fans. Parents were very unlikely to confront a coach face to face about why their child was not getting enough playing time. We all seem to think today that our child is the "best" and should get the most playing time, and when that is not happening, we fire out texts or an email and expect some kind of instant gratification from the coach. Coaches have other jobs and are busy with their families as well. It is time to be realistic. We need to tell our kids to work harder at practice, work harder at home in the back yard too and stop thinking they will get more playing time because mommy or daddy inundated the coach with pressure emails and texts. American children will become soft and feel entitled in that situation. I do not want that for my child, do you.....really? Speak to the coach only over problems you consider to be serious such as a safety issue. Stop coaching from the sideline and let the coaches coach. Don't complain on the way home how your boy should have gotten more time. Find something positive to say about their play that day. Tell your child to work harder and STOP holding his hand: You might be surprised at how much your son will improve if you do that.

Unfortunately club lacrosse is pay to play. So if an organization takes my money, and it's the same amount as you pay, then equal playing time is expected. That's why I despise club and enjoy school ball so much more. That's the reality of it.

This statement is pure lunacy. Club lacrosse is about competition. Kids work for minutes. There is a role for everyone on the roster, but equal playing time has never been part of the equation. You can barely find that in PAL.

The term that should be used is equitable, not equal. Playing time should be equitable.

And to be honest, the time should be less equitable when the game is on the line. The idea that you play all your kids at some point during a Tournament is fine, but to put a kid on the field that costs his team the game just for some crazy vision of equality or equity is not right for the whole team. Losing because you are evenly distributing time is just dumb and it hurts the ones who often have the most talent and not surprisingly the best work ethics. Frankly, sometime the best way to get better for a youngster is just to watch and see how your peers get their jobs done.