Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hey I enjoy my sons Town Team , his wrestling team , his hockey team and all his neighborhood friends and him being a youth kid playing youth sports not a robot.

There's nothing wrong with that, but some kids show a greater proclivity for the sport. I choose to support/push my son to be the best he can be. Recruitment is starting earlier every year. Is it unrealistic to believe that by the time our boys are in 7th grade, top schools will be looking at them? I didn't not think so at all. So don't worry about us "Blastards", we'll be fine. And so will our boys.

Support all you want....because you are a parent, and this is what you should do.
But more often than not, parents who think they are supporting are driving their kids away from loving the game. When they start putting the pressure on 4th grade kids because top colleges are going to be looking at them in 3 years, is when that support turns into pressure.

Don't buy in - no top school is looking at the 99.999% of middle school kids. Yeah, there may be one or 2 across the country that will make headlines, but don't believe anyone is going to get serious looks before they even play a JV game.

So keep up the support because as parents that is our job, but don't push him any harder than he will push himself or his coach will push him!!

Thanks Dr. Phil, but I think we know our kids. Maybe they can handle the extra push. Maybe that's why they're on the team to begin with. Some kids can't, I agree.