Originally Posted by Anonymous
People are on here talking about what teams are better than other teams. I'm talking towns, not clubs. It seems to be towns like syag and west Islip, not only have PAL teams, but actual tournament teams. Not knowing the specifics, I'm sure syag is much better than sachems PAL team, I'm sure west Ialip's tournament team is much better than its PAL team. I love the idea of towns having a tournament team. Kids are friends, they play together until high school ends, there future high school team will be really good,practices are local, plus they will win a lot because they are usually the top kids in the grade and they are also playing other towns PAL teams . It's like a club team to a degree.(much cheaper). My sons PAL team, which I'm assuming is like other PAL teams. 6 or 7 really good players. 6 or 7 middle of the road players and I'd say about 8 subpar or beginner players. Some kids in march showed up with hockey gloves or fiddle sticks, jersey on backwards etc. These PAL teams can't match up with these tournament teams, maybe for the first 10 minutes or so, when first lines are out there, but then the next level of kids are no match for a solid town tournament team. Now I'm not a coach, but I played a lot of sports in my life. I can see how these tournament teams can create problems in a town. The first 8 kids are a no brainer. Now picking 9 more kids, not so easy. Who gets left out. This kid is better than that kid, that kids dad is friends with coach, this kids dad don't like coach. This kid is related to the assistant coach, but he really isn't a good player. Etc,etc. Is it better to just let the kids play together, learn the game, have fun, win less and not have as much controversy or is it better to go the town tournament team direction.

they have A and B teams. the A teams go into tournaments and play in the A division. the B teams usually play in the C division. i think sachem has 3 teams. i believe Mt Sinai and SWR are the exceptions to this