Originally Posted by Anonymous
Did anyone attending the Duke's Nationals 2025 Tryout at Hofstra?? They have another tryout coming up at UPenn on September 9th. I heard that they are a really good team. Any productive info would be great. Thanks!

They had a few really good players. Coach seemed like a nice guy. I couldn't say how good he is or isn't. I think they're more targeting underserved areas that don't have well-run clubs for kids to play in. We didn't accept the invite because I'm concerned it will conflict with our main club team. They use a depth chart system where attendance is a key factor (makes sense) but if you can't make the practices because of your main club, I assume your kid won't be playing so why do it.

What does targeting underserved areas have anything to do with an elite lacrosse team?

If they go where the area is underserved, then they can lock in kids that have less local club options to choose from. That's what it has to do with "elite" lacrosse.

And by the way, the invited kids from the tryout at Hofstra on that Saturday blew the doors off Express the next day at Cedar Creek.

Problem with Dukes is that every single event that they have is off the Island. It's hard to justify an overnight trip to go to a practice. Even if that practice is at Hopkins, Rutgers or UVA.