Originally Posted by Anonymous
Stop comparing hockey and lacrosse. They are different sports entirely. One of the above posts actually implied that if lacrosse goes to age based then lacrosse players will be able to make a living playing the sport. That is ludicrous.

My older sons didn’t need to play up to be successful in the system as currently constructed, and my younger son is on a similar path (though admittedly impossible to extrapolate). And yes, he is developing a work ethic by playing against holdbacks, or any player that is better than him. What you see as lunacy, I see as opportunities to develop his whole person and make him a stronger future adult. You see it differently because you are a weak person and can’t relate to the necessity for challenges at a young age. That’s why you’re so bitter about it.

My son(s) play(ed) in this system and, as far as my eldest two, I’m proud of men they’ve become. Obviously, lacrosse played a small part in that, but it definitely played a part. They are scholar athletes who make no excuses. Something you clearly know nothing about. I’ve been through the system and have seen it’s benefits first hand. You, presumably, read some obscure studies funded to prove the point your trying to make, but have actually seen and done nothing.

This argument bores me and so do you.

Hard to know in an anonymous board who is posting what but this boring and repetitive argument has been debunked over and over again. Basically, you are saying that the current system has helped your boys and made them better players and men. That is great, and I am sure it is accurate. No one is trying to take this experience away from you, or from the next generation of families like you. But what is ignored over and over again by you and maybe others is that under an age based system, you can still have the same experience. You simply send an email to your coach that says, in sum and substance: "Dear Coach, I believe that my son Johnny would benefit from playing on the 2006 team instead of the 2007 team. Playing up will help him grown as a person, make him work harder, and challenge him more. I believe he has the skill and natural ability to play against older kids and will be an asset to the team. Thank you." If the coach/director agrees, than it will happen.

An age based system is a win/win for everyone. Its as plain as the nose on your face. I really think that the persons who espouse the virtues of the current system are just simply club directors/prep school coaches/college coaches that benefit from the holdback pipeline, and are worried that in an age based system, talent will be more spread out, and they will lose their hold on the sport.

As for age based systems leading to greater revenue for college and pro teams/players (pro only), yes it will help. Right now, the youth travel circuit is not set up to work for the more average athlete, whom are more numerous than the elite athlete. The average athlete is lost playing against older kids, and no amount of toughness or wall ball is going to make that kid faster, quicker or more aggressive. In an age based system, the tent can be greatly enlarged, and through the use of B, A, AA, and AAA divisions, more skill levels and paying customers can be accommodated. These are your future MLL ticket buyers, and media consumers. And of course, the best athletes can play in an older division if they and the coaches wish it to be so.

The people who complain about comparisons to hockey are probably persons not involved in youth hockey. Using strict age based play, coupled with multiple talent levels, it is easy (much easier than in lacrosse) to find competitive games and tournaments. My kids have played against hockey teams from MD, PA, and MA on many occasions. Not once has any of these teams seemed older, bigger or more mature than our team. And the games have been competitive because teams at similar levels are matched up. But yet in lacrosse these three states, noted for their holdbacks, routinely field bigger, older and more mature players. And the games are usually a mess - either my son's team gets killed, or we win in a sloppy game against older, but less skilled opponents that gets needlessly chippy. The experience with the former is much better than with the later.

Thank you!!! This is one of the best posts I have seen on this thread ever. Hope my kid is able to play with your son one day.

If he does they’ll mostly likely be playing with dolls.